Rental protection

When your landlord ends the rental agreement and you disagree with this decision, you are allowed to object. In which case, the landlord is obliged to take the matter to court. This is part of the rental protection, which is part of the rent act.

The ongoing rental contract (even in the case of a temporary rental agreement) is not allowed to be cancelled, before the judge has given a verdict on the case. NB: in some cases this rule can be deviated from, for example, in the case of “urgent self usage” from the landlord. (Read also: “when can a landlord end the rental agreement?”)

Do you disagree, as a tenant, with the final verdict of the judge? Then you can also file an appeal. Also in this case, the rental agreement will last until a verdict is given.

Note: When filing an appeal after the verdict from a regular judge, make sure to do this in time. If you wait too long and exceed the deadline for filing an appeal, the given verdict becomes irreversible. In case the given verdict was not in favour of you as a tenant, then the landlord can order you to leave the rental space from that moment on.